Sunday, February 26, 2012

Slow Getting Back to Normal

It has been way too long since my last blog post.
And honestly, it's because of me.
After Mike's surgery, a little time off of work, visit from family, I had a hard time getting back into the swing of things, in many different aspects of my life.
Diet and Exercise?  Who has time for that?
Blog? Ha!
Get child new pair of shoes because he is walking funny in his old one?  You better make an appointment with yourself to do that.

Anyway, things are finally caught up.  Mike is feeling much better and moving around great.  He has resumed his normal "Daddy duties" at home and work.  And he really is doing great.  Sore still, but great.  He started PT, which requires him to go on a few walks per day.  So this weekend we've enjoyed doing that together as a family. 

Jonathan is rocking and rolling.  Still loving The Beatles.  Although we listened to the new Farmer Jason CD about 10 million times this weekend.  But that is pretty rocking, so I think it counts.

And I did get him new shoes (finally), and resumed my diet and exercise routine as well.  Just in time for me to go out of town again.  Ha!  Can't win them all.

Therapy for Jonathan continues as always.  It is funny, because one week, I'll feel like he is progressing like no other child...shooting down expectations left and right.  And then the next week, I realize he still cannot communicate appropriately with his peers and schoolmates.  He can tell his therapists at table time what color a stop sign is, but can't answer someone when they ask, "how are you?"  I've noticed his echolalia (repeating phrases from TV shows, etc) has moved on to repeating comments I make.  It is so cute that he asks, "Do you love Farmer Jason?"  But I know he didn't come up with that on his own.  He has been asked that many times over by us. 

Anyway, I know progress comes in spurts and sputters...slow and steady.  And I bask in where we are today.  And remain hopeful for tomorrow for our boy.  We do have a therapy plan for social play with peers in the near future.  So looking forward to that.

One things is for sure...and Mike reminded me of this yesterday.  Our son is special.  Not just because of his  "special needs," but because of who he is.  He's our special boy.  I like that a lot. 

So that's it for now.  We're good.  Slow getting back to normal, but really, what is normal? 


No comments:

Post a Comment