Friday, February 10, 2012

And now an update on the boy

I've been home this week.  Been enjoying sleeping in a bit, and taking care of Mike's business stuff. Oh, and of course playing Nurse to my recovering patient.  It's been good to be home.

But really, I've enjoyed picking Jonathan up from school.  I usually am in such a rush in the morning when I drop him off.  But I have been able to watch him in action, from a distance, before he notices I'm there.  I love that moment.

I saw him sitting with his peers, eating lunch, reciting lyrics from "Going on a Bear Hunt" while all the other kids were eating.  He saw me, gathered his plate, threw it away in the garbage, and gave me a big hug.

I saw him playing on the playground.  He was playing alone.  But he was happy, by evidence of his running and flapping.  He climbed a small slide and couldn't figure out how to turn around once he got to the top.  His teacher helped him.

I saw him running around his classroom, and pick something up to throw it away.

Just these little moments, small reflections, of who he is when he is not with me.

I've also been listening to him while he has therapy in the afternoon.  The giggles, the screaming, the yelling in joy. He's had a few not so good moments, but overall, he has been happy playing with his friends (those are the therapists that come to the house).

He's been obsessing on The Beatles.  He is learning the words to lots of the songs, and totally singing the wrong words.  He also makes up his own words too.  "We all live in a yellow, brush your teeth."  Or "come together.  IPad,  Ohh me!"  He's been marching to "Daytripper" and trying to shake his hips.
He tells me to sing 1 then 2...meaning track 1 then track 2.  He usually plays his CD in the DVD player so he can watch the track numbers.  "I want 12" means he wants to listen to Daytripper.  "24" is Something in the Way She Moves.  "15" is Yellow Submarine.  He has another CD that only has a few instrumental songs of the Beatles (it is a RockABaby cd).  He plays number 7, and tells me "24."  That's because number 7 on this CD is Something in the Way She Moves, and on the other CD it is 24.  I love that he connects the two.

He also told me that "we go to library.  Play Thomas!"  He wants to go to the library to play on the Thomas the Train table.  So I told him we will go on Saturday.  He was sharing something he wanted to do!  And he was fine with waiting until Saturday to do it.  Now we have a date.

He just amazes me everyday. I know we have a lot to keep working on, but I can't believe what a big, funny, independent guy he is turning into.  He makes me so proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment