Sunday, September 30, 2012

Life Lessons for the Fall


As a child, my family moved around a bit.  The year I was in fourth grade, I went to three different elementary schools.  That is a lot for a kid.  But I think the experience of moving, attending new schools and meeting new people taught me to be adaptable.  How to learn to make friends over again.  How to adjust.  I remember being so upset at my parents for taking me away from the home and friends that I had.  But once we got to the new house, the new school, all elements fit into place. 

As I got older, I think these life skills have helped.  I pick up on things quickly.  I can make friends quickly.  I can adapt to my new surroundings quickly.

Which makes it interesting for me to see how Jonathan struggles with these things.

He lives off his routines.  He finds comfort and needs the familiarity.  He can adapt and change, but it takes a while for it all to even out...and there is usually A LOT of planning that is necessary for a smooth transition.


I guess where I'm going with this post is... he is not me.  I am not him.

It might be hard for him and easy for me.
It might be easy for him and hard for me.

We are two different individuals, even if he is a little bit of me and his Dad.  He is all Jonathan.  And that person marches to the beat of his own drum.

And in seeing this in him, I see it in others.  I am not them.  They are not me.

We all have our own struggles.  We all deal with SOMETHING.  We may not understand what each person's something is...and things that might be easy or hard for one, is not for another.

Lessons in tolerance. Acceptance in others.  Acceptance in yourself.  Keeping an open mind.

That is what I'm thinking about today.

In the meantime, the leaves are changing and it is getting cooler out.

Jonathan and I went to a picnic this afternoon, and enjoyed some time outside.


He is getting so big.
He is talking so much more.
He is developing his own personality.
He is just Jonathan. And I can't help but love this little boy.
   

1 comment: