Sunday, May 13, 2012

My Mother's Day

This morning, you came into bed to cuddle with me at 7am.  Your hot little head against mine.  Your heavy arm around my neck.  Your eyes were still closed with sleep despite you walking across the hall into my room.  You just wanted to be next to me.

Later in the morning, while Daddy and I sat and drank coffee, you hurt your foot.  You started crying and ran to me,"Mommy.  Mommy."  I didn't know what was wrong, so I just held you.  You either stepped on something or you stubbed your toe.  I still don't know.  But you said "owie foot" so I gave you a Mommy kiss to make it all better.  Your tears stopped.

We all went for a ride.  You sang along to the "Sesame Street" theme song.  You looked out the window.  You said, "We go to see strawberries."

Even after the strawberry farm didn't work out, you did fine.  When we pulled into McDonalds for a rest, you said, "We go inside!"  This McDonalds had a playland.  You took your shoes off, and kept your socks on, something you would have never done last year.  After playing a while, you came over, took my hand and said, "Jonathan and Mommy go down slide."  Luckily, no one else was there, so I climbed into the playland with you, while Daddy sat and laughed at me.  My knees hurt, but it didn't really matter.  Daddy bought you a milk shake.  I think that was better than picking strawberries. 

Later we went swimming at the gym.  In your little swimmy-floaty vest, you took off, walking into the pool alone, squealing with excitement.  You swam (ok, floated) across the entire length of the pool.  We played surfing upon your request and counted to three for me to go under the water.  You kept climbing on my shoulders and would say,"gracias, mommy!"

We played outside on the swing set.  I pushed you in the big swing and then the "blue" swing.  We later snacked on goldfish.  You pretended they were swimming by you.  "One fish.  Two fish.  A school of fish!"

Just being with you and Daddy today made this Mother's Day perfect.  We got to play without distractions of work and school and chores.  And watching you, watching you just being you, reminds me how much you've grown.  How sweet and special and funny you are.  You made me a Mother.  You've taught me so much already....how to be more patient, more understanding and accepting of things I don't know or understand, that my "Mama Bear" instincts are valid and usually right. You've taught me that the road map of life has a lot of back roads I never knew were there...and that going places I didn't expect usually are worth the ride.  I'm so proud to be your Mommy.  Thank you for being you.

One of our first pictures together

Being sweet, smart and funny
PS.  Daddy is pretty awesome too.  But I'll save my gushy Daddy sentiments for Father's Day ;) 


No comments:

Post a Comment